Tuesday, June 22, 2010

sand

I have so much to share! I'm still trying to organize my thoughts and journeys. But I thought I'd begin with what was central to my vacation: the beach.
The beaches in Malibu are just lovely. We visited corral, zuma and the point (next to malibu pier). Free roadside parking (get there early for zuma!), plenty of space to spread out, surfers to watch and the occasional dolphin to spot off in the distance.
As you can see, it was overcast. Here in southern california the end of may and beginning of june signals "june gloom". We get a marine layer of fog that doesn't quite burn off till nearly noon, if it goes away at all. But that doesn't stop the locals, it's still in the 70s and you can definitely still get a sunburn. Also in this area the ocean rarely goes above 65 degrees even in summer, but you'll still see people of all ages running into the waves.

Here's a clearer day. You can see one of the lifeguard towers, painted with brightly colored murals for this particular summer.

You must be prepared for any situation. Have a lightweight knit sweater and coverup, especially if it is overcast. Apply and reapply sunscreen throughout the day. Bring snacks and lots of water so you don't get dehydrated. An extra big towel and your favorite book or iPod help pass the afternoon lazily.

No comments: