Thursday, December 3, 2009

hop in the car

Finals make me want to escape even more than usual. Something simple like a last minute road trip would do the trip. California is perfect for road trips. There's SO MUCH in this state, it's incredibly diverse and you can find just about anything you're looking for. Beaches, forests, deserts, mountains, snow, you name it. Two years ago for spring break my cousin and I hopped in the car and headed north up the Pacific Coast Highway. It was lovely.

We stayed in Santa Cruz and visited Monterey. I believe it was two nights, three days. There's the infamous Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Plenty of rides and terrible food. It was still a bit freezing in March so we didn't get any beach time. Downtown Santa Cruz is fabulous. Walnut Cafe, Kianti's and Pizza My Heart are great for munching and there's plenty of shopping and a great movie theater to keep you entertained. We drove up to the University of California, Santa Cruz and I kind of wish I had applied there, it's really beautiful, on top of a hill surrounded by coastal woodlands.





Monterey is becoming of my favorite places. James and I stopped there on the drive north to go home last year. I definitely prefer northern california beach towns to southern california. Maybe it's the cool weather and morning fog. Monterey's cannery row will keep you occupied with all the shops and galleries. Perfect for a relaxing meander around town. Of course there's the Monterey Bay aquarium. So fascinating, I recommend it. I have so much more exploring to do here!




A friend was going to Cal State Monterey Bay and recommended this hidden trail that lead us straight to these giant dunes and secret beach. It's a little secret.
Heading North on the freeway, exit CSUMB. Turn Left at the 2nd traffic light. Then Left at the 4 way stop intersection. Park at the freeway overpass bridge and take the trail out to the dunes! It goes on for miles and we only saw a couple people.



No California road trip is complete without In N Out. Seriously, if you don't live in the southwestern U.S. you're missing out. It's all about the secret menu. I recommend fries well done (that means extra crispy!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmm I could go for some pizza my heart right now. I'm still bummed we didn't get shirts. But you forgot to include our bomb pb and banana sandwiches. I could go for one of those right now too...