Tucson.
It was the summer before my senior year of high school. Part family vacation, part college visitation and I seem to be completely lacking in photos :( Good thing my brain still functions.
We flew into Phoenix and had to take this tiny 25 person commuter flight. (our layover was less than an hour and the connection was about 4 terminals away...we RAN)
I was pleasantly surprised to find the desert to be much more to my liking than I had expected, both in climate and appearance. I discovered the wonders of dry heat, the lack of humidity allowed us to not quite notice the above 100 degree weather. The landscape has a unique beauty. Fairly flat but lots of small brush. Plants I'd never seen before. Gorgeous cacti, the saguaro are magnificent. Millons of rabbits (although that's how Irvine is as well...). Most homes had front yard comprising of gravel/rock with cacti and brush. The native landscapes were so much more beautiful and fitting than the occasional green lawn.
Tucson is a college town, the University of Arizona is right in the heart of downtown. I kind of wish I had that, instead of my Irvine suburbia bubble. Lovely brick buildings, it felt like what you imagine a university to look like.
Sites to see:
Sabino Canyon. A wonderful area in the Coronado National Forest, in the eastern part of the city. There are some great hiking trails, (not difficult at all) some follow Sabino Creek, to waterfalls and a dam. We definitely saw a gila monster.
(photos by me, the only ones I seem to still have)
Biosphere 2. About an hour's drive Northeast of Tucson is a slightly nerdy but really interesting site. Built in late 80s, the just over 3 acre dome houses 5 separate ecosystems, human quarter and agricultural site. It has been used for research and study the possibilities of space colonization. The closed system has a rainforest, wetlands, tropical "ocean" with coral reef, savannah grassland, and fog desert, plus farmland for its inhabitants to raise their own crops and living quarters. Two missions have been conducted. One lasting 2 years, the second lasting six months. You get to take a tour inside and it is quite impressive (though EXTREMELY hot and humid).
Tombstone. For those western movie lovers out there, the city of Tombstone is an hour and half drive southeast of Tucson. It's the site of the famed shootout at the OK corral with Wyatt Earp. (Watch Tombstone and Wyatt Earp for some background, essentially the same movie with different actors from different studios put out around the same time. Both are good). It's a dusty little town, surviving on the fame of its history. They have a reenactment you can go see that's fun. There's great little southwestern shops with souvenirs like turquoise jewelry and potted cacti.
We stayed at the Hilton El Conquistador. I'm not 100% sure why, because it's a tennis and golf resort and we play neither...but it was quite lovely. Great getaway oasis outside the downtown with spectacular views. Though not cheap, I was under the graces of my parents so I can't personally recommend any inexpensive local hotels.
Drink lots of water, wear lots of sunscreen and beware of snakes and scorpions (we didn't see any luckily).
No comments:
Post a Comment