Friday, June 20, 2008

Greetings from London!

I already feel like I've been here forever. I absolutely love it here.
Where shall I begin?
International flights are a weird little bubble of society. Virgin Atlantic is nice though. 2 good meals and we got to help ourselves to drinks in the galley. It was loooooong though and I slept maybe 2 hours at the most. Arrived at Heathrow, which is huge and confusing. I was going to try to find the girls I was supposed to meet up with but it didn't happen. I ended up at the Underground Station and ended up taking the tube to the hostel. I love the Underground! It's really clean and super easy to use.

The girls (Breesa, Aness, Melody and Jenny) made it to the YHA central london after I took a much needed shower. Probably the second best shower of all time (first was the shower after the week of kayaking in canada). Then we went and walked around Westminster to Oxford Street.

People in England are ridiculously nice and polite. Very helpful when you ask for directions and when they notice your american accent they're very interested in where you're from and what you're doing here. When we ride the tube with luggage (NOT fun) and have to lug our suitcases up and down flights of stairs (because there are NO elevators) we've have tons of people stop and help us carry our bags, it's awesome.

I didn't sleep very well last night. it must have been the jet lag. I laid awake for about 3 hours. This morning we had a traditional English breakfast: Fried egg, sausage, "bacon" (a fried slice of ham), beans and toast. Then we made the trek through the underground to Swiss Cottage with is Northwest London, near Hampton and Camden I think. We're staying at Palmer's Lodge which is this gorgeous brick Victorian style building. We went for a walk to find a market and on our way back all the children were getting out of school and walking home. They were adorable with little uniforms. Little 8-yr-old boys in polos and blazers.

*****So t-mobile hotspots have been rather nonexistent which is frustrating. But I would highly advise Skype, it's only 2 cents/min.

I will post pictures later, we're going to get ready for some dinner!

No comments: