I have a friend who lives in Belgium, and we were trying to add it to our Europe trip but just didn't have the time (so he came to visit us while we were in Dublin instead!). But Belgium is another place that keeps moving up my list. Fiance and I saw In Bruges a while back and loved it. The canals and ancient stone buildings, big town squares. Everything I love about old European towns. The subject matter itself is brilliant, so much depth, and yet there were some very funny parts. Definition of a perfect dark comedy. But the whole thing takes place in Bruges, Belgium and I fell in love, despite Ray's (Colin Farrell) deprecating remarks about the town.
(i love the taglines and subtitles in the poster: "In Bruges (it's in Belgium)" and "Shoot first. Sightsee later." brilliant. via imdb)
I just found these articles about a carefully arranged display of flowers in Brussells. No soil, not planted, just placed directly onto the ground in the town square. It looks like a beautiful, bright tapestry rug. Love!
Not to mention I love Belgian waffles. I hear there are street vendors everywhere. And a rumor that french fries were invented by the Belgians (french describes the way the potato is cut)...considering french fries are one of my main food groups, thank Belgium!

No comments:
Post a Comment