Wednesday, April 7, 2010

NOLA

Have you seen HBO's "The Wire"? It's a show about Baltimore cops, written by Baltimore cops. Fiance watched it, because his dad watched it (his dad is a sheriff) and now is making me watch it. And it is quite good. very real.

Anyways, the creators have made a new show. It's called "Treme" and it's about musicians in New Orleans. The show begins three months after Hurricane Katrina hit. It has a few of the same actors from the wire, plus other likes steve zahn and john goodman. I'm so excited to watch it.
a) I love Jazz Music
b) I worked with St. Bernard Project this past summer, helping send volunteer groups to NOLA to rebuild homes
c) NOLA has been creeping up my must-see travel list. It's roughly top five. (one of these days I will actually create a list, for now it is in my busy, forgetful, stressed out brain)
d) I also love john goodman

The show will definitely break my heart a bit. I feel, deeply, about stuff like this. But it's a topic that definitely needs some light, because it's been almost 5 years since the hurricane and from what I heard from people who went out there, progress is minimal. A few people have been going back every year since the hurricane and they say that there are still entire blocks with abandoned homes marked up by rescue workers (searching for dead bodies). There are still big areas with no functioning street lights. abandoned businesses. And a lot of people are still living in miserable FEMA trailers. They feel like the rest of the country/world has forgotten about them and moved onto other issues.

The show starts Sunday, April 11. 10 pm. Since I live in the stone age and don't have HBO I'll have to stream it later. But this is one TV show that will not be a waste of your life.

No comments: