Joshua Tree.
(here)
Duh! Why didn't I think of that? Knowing my father's love of all things outdoors, a side trip to this national park from our hotel is pretty much in the bag. Where to even begin with this place? So much diversity, such a delicate ecosystem. Since we will be there at the beginning of summer it will be quite warm, though I hear fall/spring are lovely. There are wildflowers and birds to be viewed. Apparently in the heat of summer, Mojave desert is actually a welcome break from the vast expanses of Joshua Tree. It lies along earthquake fault lines, so there are many wonders to explore, including crazy rocks and 5 lovely fan palm oases. It has a rich history. I definitely want to go camping here some day as well.
I must also reference the fact that this place inspired U2's infamous "The Joshua Tree" album.
If you want more information about Southern California/the Western USA's desert landscape and the quest to convert it to agriculture and generally livable cities, please read "Cadillac Desert" It is required reading for a class that I very much am enjoying.
No comments:
Post a Comment